Monday 14 July 2008

Cost of Looking after Children

I have seen some very good accommodation for unaccompanied children seeking asylum, and I have also seen some dreadful accommodation. I have visited homes with a member from the Refugee Council Children's Panel and felt sad to hear how he had been assured that problems in the accommodation were repaired.


I have seen documentation in the past that indicated that the cost of paying for a child under eighteen to be accommodated in shared housing in an inner city area is generally about ninety pounds each per week, to include heating and lighting. Some of these houses in the same street are rented to students for approximately sixty five pounds per week each.


Today I was going through some papers brought to me by a young person. What I see is a handful of papers indicating that social services have paid a local estate agent £1170.00 for the period of one month. There are twelve of these. For a small house in an inner city area containing three bedrooms, a cost of £14,040.00. A further six documents indicate that on a previous cheaper property the rent was just £693.00 per month. Although these properties include gas, electricity and rent, they also say that they include community charge. My understanding is that children don't pay community charge. This amount is more than the cost of renting the entire place to a student ( I checked today). The documents state which person the rent is payable for. Some of these properties have three and four bedrooms in them.


Thats a lot of money - for what, exactly?

No comments: